· After so much austerity, I have understood this as the real truth, God is present in every Jiva; there is no other God besides that. ‘Who serves Jiva, serves God indeed’.
· Above all, beware of compromises. I do not mean that you are to get into antagonism with anybody, but you have to hold on to your own principles in weal or woe and never adjust them to others “fads” thought the greed of getting supporters.
· Cut out the word help from your mind. You cannot help; it is blasphemy!
· If money help a man to do good to others, it is of some value; but if not, it is simply a mass of evil, and the sooner it is got rid of, the better.
· The ideal of Vedanta is that all wisdom and all purity are in the soul already, dimly expressed or better expressed - that is all the difference. The difference between man and man, and all things in the whole creation, is not in kind but only in degree. The background, the reality, of everyone is that same Eternal, Ever Blessed, Ever Pure, and Ever Perfect One. It is the Atman, the Soul, in the saint and the sinner, in the happy and the miserable, in the beautiful and the ugly, in men and in animals; it is the same throughout. It is the shining One. The difference is caused by the power of expression. In some It is expressed more, in others less, but this difference of expression has no effect upon the Atman.
· When an idea exclusively occupies the mind, it is transformed into an actual physical or mental state.
It is our own mental attitude which makes the world what it is for us. Our thought make things beautiful, our thoughts make things ugly. The whole world is in our own minds. Learn to see things in the proper light. First, believe in this world, that there is meaning behind everything. Everything in the world is good, is holy and beautiful. If you see something evil, think that you are not understanding it in the right light. Throw the burden on yourselves!
If you think about disaster, you will get it. Brood about death and you hasten your demise. Think positively and masterfully, with confidence and faith, and life becomes more secure, more fraught with action, richer in achievement and experience.
As different streams having different sources all mingle their waters in the sea, so different tendencies various though they appear, crooked or straight, all lead to God.
· When once you consider an action, do not let anything dissuade you. Consult your heart, not others, and then follow its dictates.
· Seek for the highest, aim at that highest and you shall reach the highest.
· Live in harmony with all. Give up all idea of egoism, and entertain no sectarian views. Useless wrangling is a great sin.
· If we enjoy everything in the Self, and as the Self, no misery or reaction will come.
· Spirit speaks unto spirit in silence, and yet in most unmistakable language.
· The secret of life is not enjoyment, but education through experience.
· All truth in the universe will manifest in your heart, if you are sufficiently pure.
· Our best work and our greatest influence is when we are without a thought of self.
· It is feeling that is the life, the strength, the vitality, without which no amount of intellectual activity can reach God.
· Kindness and love can buy you the whole world; lectures and books and philosophy-------------all stand lower than these.
· Root out selfishness, and everything that makes you selfish.
· Whatever is truth will remain for ever; whatever not, none can preserve.
· Think of nothing but liberation.
· Until we give up the world manufactured by the ego, never can we enter the kingdom of heaven. None ever did, none ever will. To give up the world is to forget the ego, to know it not at all------------living in the body, but not of it. This rascal ego must be obliterated. Power to help mankind is with the silent ones who only live and love and withdraw their own personality entirely.
· Stand up, men and women, in the spirit, dare to believe in the Truth, dare to practise the Truth! The world requires a few hundred bold men and women. Practise that boldness which dares know the Truth, which dares show the Truth in life, which does not quake before death, nay, welcomes death, makes a man know that he is the Spirit, that, in the whole universe, nothing can kill him. Then you will be free.
· God is love, and only he who has known God as love can be a teacher of godliness and God to man.
· Stand up and say, I am the Master, the Master of all. We forge the chain, and we alone can break it.
· All power is within you, you can do anything and everything. Believe in that, do not believe that you are weak………………You can do anything and everything, without even the guidance of any one. All power is there. Stand up and express the divinity within you……………Arise, awake, sleep no more. Within each of you there is the power to remove all wants and all miseries. Believe in this, and that power will be manifested.
· All healthy social changes are the manifestations of the spiritual forces working within, and if these are strong and well adjusted, society will arrange itself accordingly. Each individual has to work out his own salvation; there is no other way, and so also with nations…………….It is very easy to point out the defects of institutions, all being more or less important, but he is the real benefactor of humanity who helps the individual to overcome his imperfections under whatever institutions he may live. The individuals being raised, the nation and its institution are bound to rise.
Negative thought weakens. Do you not find that where parents are constantly taxing their sons to read and write, telling them they will never learn anything, and calling them fools and so forth, the latter do actually turn out to be so in many cases?
If you speak kind words to boys and encourage them, they are bound to improve in time. What holds good of children, also holds good of children in the region of higher thoughts.
If you can give them positive ideas, people will grow up to be men and learn to stand on their own legs. In language and literature, in poetry and arts--------------in everything we must point out not the mistakes that people are making in their thoughts and actions, but the way in which they will gradually be able to do these things better. Pointing out mistakes wounds a man’s feelings.
· Each one of us will have to discover.
· Say, day and night, “Come up, my brothers; you are the infinite ocean of purity! Be God! Manifest as God!”
· The seeing of many is the great sin of all the world. See all as Self and love all; let all idea of separateness go.
· This life comes and goes------------wealth, fame, enjoyments are only of a few days. It is better, far better to die on the field of duty, preaching the truth, than to die like a worldly worm. Advance!
Get up, and put your shoulders to the wheel-------------how long is this life for? As you have come into this world, leave some mark behind. Otherwise, where is the difference between you and the trees and stones? They, too, come into existence, decay and die.
This life comes and goes------------wealth, fame, enjoyments are only of a few days. It is better, far better to die on the field of duty, preaching the truth, than to die like a worldly worm. Advance!
Life is short: Give it up to a Great cause. Arise! awake! and stop not till the goal is reached.
No amount of ignorance or wrong ideas can put a barrier between the soul and God. Even if there be no God, still hold fast to love. It is better to die seeking a God than as a dog seeking only carrion. Choose the highest ideal and give your life up to that. Death being so certain, it is the highest thing to give up life for a great purpose.
Love will painlessly attain to philosophy; then after knowledge comes Parabhakti (supreme devotion).
Knowledge is critical and makes a great fuss over everything; but Love says ‘God will show His real nature to me’ and accepts all.
· Break your chain and be free for ever. What frightens you, what holds you down? Only ignorance and delusion; nothing else can bind you.
· Do not go against anything-----------------------ours is to put the chemicals together, the Lord knows how and when the crystal will form.
· Arise, therefore, come forward, display the play of your superior power within, manifest it, and we are standing with offerings of deepest veneration in hand ready to worship you.
· Desire nothing for yourself. Do all for others. This is to live and move and have your being in God.
· Please be careful not to become impure even in thought, as also in speech and action; always try to do good to others as far as in you lies.
· Have no idea of proprietorship, possessorship.
· Let not a ripple conquer the mind.......................................
BE ‘UNATTACHED’; let things work; let brain-centers work; work incessantly, but let not a ripple conquer the mind. Work as if you were a stranger in this land, a sojourner; work incessantly, but do not bind yourselves; bondage is terrible.
· IT IS PREFERABLE TO LIVE ON THE GRASS FOR THE SAKE OF DOING GOOD TO OTHERS.
· If you are pure, if you are strong, you, one man, are equal to the whole world.
· The Secret of Everything
Feeling is the soul, the secret of everything.
· Every duty is holy, and devotion to duty is the highest form of the worship of God; it is certainly a source of great help in enlightening and emancipating the deluded and ignorance-------------encumbered souls of the Buddhas-----------------the bound ones.
· Arise, ye mighty one, and be strong! Work on and on, struggle on and on!
· This world is in need of those whose life is one burning love, selfless. That love will make every word tell like thunderbolt.
- Give as the rose gives perfume, because it is its own nature, utterly unconscious of giving.
· In some oil mills in