· Yes, the older I grow, the more everything seems to me to lie in manliness. This is my new Gospel. Do even evil like a man! Be wicked, if you must, on a great scale!
· According to Karma Yoga, the action one has done cannot be destroyed, until it has borne its fruit; no power in nature can stop it from yielding its results.
· Face the truth as it is.
· You must have strict morality. Deviate an inch from this and you are gone for ever.
· Be good and have mercy on those who suffer.
· Beware of everything that is untrue; stick to truth and we shall succeed, may be slowly, but surely.
· Great occasions rouse even the lowest of human beings to some kind of greatness, but he alone is the really great man whose character is great always, the same wherever he be.
· Each work has to pass through these stages--------------------ridicule, opposition, and then acceptance. Each man who thinks ahead of his time is sure to be misunderstood.
· Accept the “beneficial” and discard the “pleasant”.
· Know it for certain that you are in everything.
· We are poor, my brothers, we are nobodies; but such have been always the instruments of the Most High.
· Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true.
· Is there any sex-distinction in the Atman (Self)? Out with the differentiation between man and woman—all is Atman! Give up the identification with the body, and stand up!
· Renunciation is the very basis of our true life. Every moment of goodness and real life that we enjoy is when we do not think of ourselves.
· This little separate self must die. Then we shall find that we are in the Real, and that Reality is God, and He is our own true nature, and He is always in us and with us. Let us live in Him and stand in Him. It is the only joyful state of existence. Life on the plane of the Spirit is the only life, and let us all try to attain to this realization.
· Do all without regard to personal result, give up all results to the Lord, then neither good nor evil will affect you.
· Wait, have patience, everything will come right in time.
· Look upon every man, woman, and everyone as God. You can not help anyone, you can only serve: serve the children of the Lord, serve the Lord Himself, if you have the privilege.
· The Highest way & the only way to………...
It is the life that is the highest and the only way to stir the hearts of people; it carries the personal magnetism.
· Those who are pure always in body, mind, and speech, who have strong devotion, who discriminate between the real and the unreal, who persevere in meditation and contemplation------------------------------ upon them alone the grace of the Lord descends.
· Your duty is to go on working, and then everything will follow of itself.
· Do not seek help from anyone. We are our own help.
· Morality is the path towards freedom, and immorality leads to bondage.
· This universe is simply a gymnasium in which the soul is taking exercise; and after these EXERCISE WE BECOME GODS. So the value of everything is to be decided by how far it is a manifestation of God. Civilisation is the manifestation of that divinity in man.
· What we want is to see the man who is harmoniously developed………………..great in heart, great in mind, (great in deed)………………….We want the man whose heart feels intensely the miseries and sorrows of the world…………………….And (we want) the man who not only can feel but can find the meaning of things, who delves deeply into the heart of nature and understanding. (We want) the man who will not even stop there, (but) who wants to work out (the feeling and meaning by actual deeds). Such a combination of head, heart, and hand is what we want.
· Now freedom is only possible when no external power can exert any influence, produce any change. Freedom is only possible to the being who is beyond all conditions, all laws, all bondages of cause and effect. In other words, the unchangeable alone can be free and therefore, immortal. This Being, this Atman, this real Self of man, the free, the unchangeable is beyond all conditions, and as such, it has neither birth nor death.
· Pleasure is not the goal of man, but knowledge. Pleasure and happiness come to an end. It is a mistake to suppose that pleasure is the goal. The cause of all the miseries we have in the world is that men foolishly think pleasure to be the ideal to strive for. After a time man finds that it is not happiness, but knowledge, towards which he is going, and that both pleasure and pain are great teachers, and that he learns as much from evil as from good………………..Good and evil have an equal share in moulding character, and in some instances misery is a greater teacher than happiness. In studying the great characters the world has produced, I dare say, in the vast majority of cases, it would be found that it was misery that taught more than happiness, it was poverty that taught more than wealth, it was blows that brought out their inner fire more than praise.
· Sense-happiness is not the goal of humanity. Wisdom (Jnana) is the goal of all life. We find that man enjoys his intellect more than an animal enjoys its sense; and we see that man enjoys his spiritual nature even more than his rational nature. So the highest wisdom must be this spiritual knowledge. WITH THIS KNOWLEDGE WILL COME BLISS. All these things of this world are but the shadows, the manifestations in the third or fourth degree of the real Knowledge and Bliss.
· The men of mighty will the world has produced have all been tremendous workers-------------------gigantic souls, with wills powerful enough to over-turn worlds, wills they got by persistent work, through ages, and ages.